Church of St. Stephen and Church of St. Nicholas of Bari

From tapestries
Jump to: navigation, search

Church of St. Stephen and Church of St. Nicholas of Bari

The Gothic style emanating from the splendid and famous Cathedral of Burgos permeates throughout the old city. Two excellent examples of this style are the Church of St. Stephen and the Church of St. Nicholas of Bari, located near the Cathedral and each home to a museum, one of retables and the other of tapestries.



Church of St. Stephen Calle San Esteban, 1

Church of St. Nicholas of Bari Calle Fernán González, 60-62


Church of St. Stephen

Located behind the cathedral, at the foot of the castle hill, is a building with the layout of a basilica. It has three naves, three apses and no transept, a cloister and a tower rising above the entrance. Built from c. 1280-c. 1350 on the site of a former Roman temple, it has undergone several renovations. The magnificent carvings of its exterior are clearly related to those of the Puerta de la Coronería of the Cathedral of Burgos.

Inside, under a vaulted ceiling resting on cylindrical pillars, is a choir loft (1502-1506), the work of Simón de Colonia. There are also several Renaissance tombs, including that of Pedro de Gumiel (c. 1514), carved by Nicolás Vergara, who was also responsible for the triforium, the stairway to the choir and other elements. Finally, the church is home to the remarkable Musuem of Retables.


Museum of Retables

The parish church (which gives its name to this neighbourhood of Burgos) is no longer used for worship; once it was decided that it would become the Museum of Retables, services were transferred to the Church of St. Nicholas of Bari. The collection includes retables and altarpieces from this and other parish churches in the diocese of Burgos, mostly dating from the Renaissance and Baroque periods.


Church of St. Nicholas of Bari

Located directly opposite the Cathedral of Burgos, this church was built in the early 15th century on the site of an earlier church, on the route followed by pilgrims travelling to Santiago (the present-day Calle Fernán González). Juan and Simón de Colonia worked on the facade and the latter’s son, Francisco de Colonia, was responsible for the Plateresque altarpiece, completed in 1505. Also preserved are Spanish-Flemish and Burgos style panels attributed to the man known as the Master of St. Nicholas. Attached to the church is a new building that houses the Tapestry Museum.



FP



Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Navigation
Toolbox